Sunday, March 30, 2008

Things are not always as they first appear....

I went for a great hike/jog today in the hills near my house - things just don't always look the same when its cloudy and snowy! Sometimes this is a good thing and sometimes it can really catch you off guard.

First challenge - the loop I chose today is one that I have never been able to do w/o taking a few wrong turns and lots of back-tracking to get back on course. Since it was cloudy with very limited visibility, by all means, it was a good day to do this loop in the direction that I've never done before. Or not... Mike came with me on this adventure and is a very good sport, despite the fact that I completely missed a critical intersection in the snow. I ended up taking us through the trees, shrubs, rocks - complete bushwhacking - up to some random ridge. Of course, to add to the adventure, we ran into another person on the trail who was also trying to find the same trail as us, so I led two people completely off trail! Luckily, when we were on the ridge, we spotted a trail below and were able to get back on track.

The next surprise came when we were headed up to a peak (this time actually following a trail). I was in the lead here and focusing pretty intently on staying on the trail which was snowy & icy in several spots. Well, about 5 ft in front of me, I saw what looked like a dark patch in the snow and the first thought that came through my mind was that it was a bunch of rocks. But wait, I know this part of the trail well and there are no rocks in this section. So, my brain kicks in immediately before I'm about to step on the "rocks" and I took a better look at the trail.



Yikes!!!! I almost stepped on this poor moose and let out a scream! Freaked me out a bit and definitely caught me off guard. It was hard to see. I imagine he probably starved to death. I know that its part of the whole cycle of life thing, but its still very sad. Can we just have a moment of silence for this guy?



I think I'll be working out in the gym tomorrow.

3 comments:

TonyP said...

Yikes ! Poor moose. I love getting lost on trails sometimes, but not too, too lost.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

awwww ...that is sad :-(

Lisa Smith-Batchen said...

I would have been freaked out to!!!
poor guy.
lisa