Friday, January 18, 2008

A few more pics!

As I'm trying to sort through the hundreds of pictures that I took while I was in NZ, here are a few more that remind me of the incredible times down there.  That is one magical place for me!! If you haven't been there, I highly recommend a visit - and plan on spending a minimum of 2 weeks (more time is definitely better though!)


Another view of Castle Hill - just kind of crazy to see all these rocks/boulders concentrated in this area.  We had a lot of fun in that area. :-)



...Not a bad place to hang out!


The BEAUTIFUL Hokitika river!  The water was such an amazing turquoise color - just spectacular. Ryan & Jared kayaked this & I hiked around the area. (Soon, I will also learn how to kayak!)


Our transportation across a river in the Whitcombe valley! I was a little hesitant, ok scared ... holding on for my life, the first time we crossed it. The second time was better though & I was even able to look down at the river. LOL!


Lake Wanaka, heading into the city of Wanaka ... wow, very beautiful town! I did a bit of mtn biking here and there were some good trails to run/hike in the area.


The Rob Roy glacier - at the top of one of New Zealand's "top 6" day hikes (at least that's what a local told me when I was talking to her along the trail). It was definitely a favorite of mine! This was in the Aspiring National Park, near Wanaka. We drove along the most washboarded road that I have ever been on to get here - didn't help that the suspension on the campervan had seen better days. We were all a little surprised that we made the drive w/o losing any parts from the vehicle.


One of several waterfalls along the same trail up to the Rob Roy glacier. I talked to a lot of people when I was running/hiking the trails. Its always so interesting to talk to people from different countries and hear their perspectives - I learn so much and I love to see things from a different angle.



On our canyoneering trip in the "12 mile" canyon outside of Queenstown. We met up with a couple locals who showed us the way - and were VERY nice to let me borrow an extra wetsuit they had. The water was chilly! ... especially when you're going through the natural waterslides like this pic. :-)

Gotta sign off for now - more pics to come.

1 comment:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

OH MY Gosh, simply amazing views--wow

That water is so awesome, SO that last pic is of you sitting at the TOP of that water fall right (wink, wink) you are sooooooooooo brave :-)