I checked in for our team - tomorrow is the day that we do all of the gear and skills checks. That's the time when they make sure we have all the mandatory gear and that we know how to use it. I'm sure we'll have to do a little bit of climbing and I know that we'll have to put on our wetsuits (and drysuits) and hang out in a chilly (40-45 deg!) lake for a while so they can make sure we won't get hypothermic during the race. It's nice here, but not super warm - should be high 60's/low 70's during the day and low 40's at night. Rain is certainly possible (and probable).
So, some thoughts on this crazy adventure. This is obviously a very big race - longest and "biggest" adventure I've ever attempted. How did I decide to do this? I've heard about the race before and have a few friends who have participated in several of these, so I've heard a fair amount about the expedition adventure races - even tracking them online during races and watching the tv coverage. I didn't really think that the day would come though when I would be participating as a racer though! The races always seemed so big, so overwhelming, so EPIC. Well, a good friend of mine, Jay, sent me an email last fall asking if I'd be interested in being on a team for PQ'08 with a friend of his. I was excited about the possibility, but wow, also seemed incomprehensible! After talking to the other team members and consulting with several friends, I decided that I should just give it a shot and make it happen.
There have been several other times in my life where I have turned down opportunities because I let my fear and excuses get in the way and talk me out of things. Over the past few years, I have started to change some of that and am realizing that its ok to go "out on a limb" and try some things that are a bit of a stretch. In doing this, I have learned so much - certainly about my physical capabilities & limitations, but so much more than that also. It is absolutely astounding to me to realize how much your mind and your attitude controls what you're able to do. I have seen this in myself and also when observing others in the sport. I have seen some people complete (and place in the very top tier) of hundred mile races when they've had injuries that would keep most people sidelined from work. I have also seen how a negative thought can quickly take over and ruin a day if you're not careful. Although a positive attitude can't change every circumstance, everyone has a choice to determine how they're going to handle whatever comes their way. I'm going to try to remember this and look at the positive side of things throughout the race. I mean, wow, you couldn't pick a prettier place for a race! And the guys on my team are really great! And what a great opportunity to learn so very much on a lot of different levels!
I have a few more thoughts I want to share also, but need to run to discuss some things with my teammates before the gear check tomorrow. I'll try to get another post in before the race starts!


1 comment:
Called your cell about 9:00 CDT last evening, but didn't make a connection -- wanted to wish you the BEST on the Primal QUEST. I enjoyed your photos of Montana -- brought back memories of backpacking the Lee Metcalf Wilderness. Have fun - be careful!
Post a Comment