Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Changing seasons



October 12, I had the first snowfall at my house ... seemed early to me and I couldn't believe that winter was already on its way. I wasn't quite ready for it and it completely caught me off guard! The fantastic thing about it though was that I went running late the night before on some trails and got to run in the first snow of the season. Wow - seriously brought a HUGE smile to my face and renewed my joy for running! Its amazing how something as simple as running in the dark in fresh snow can make a huge difference in your attitude! Just love it!



Then, to make things even more sweet, the weather has warmed up to incredible fall temperatures for the past couple of weeks and I now appreciate it even more than I would have since we had a taste of winter. The other night, I went out on a great trail run along the southern ridge in Emigration canyon and saw the most amazing sunset ... wish the pics on my camera had actually turned out! For those of you who live nearby, start at the top of Little Mountain in Emigration, but head out on the trail right behind the parking lot. (don't cross the street and head to Killyons). Its a great ridge trail with some good steep up & down sections! I've always had to do an out & back because there's a point where it gets into some pretty serious bushwhacking and I haven't ever gotten to that point in the light to see if there's a good way to get around that. A good friend of mine who has plowed through it recommended wearing Carhartts ... not sure about their wicking properties though!



Big plans for this week ... making my halloween costume. This is a HUGE challenge for me because I'm NOT an arts & craft sort of person at all. And somehow, I was encouraged and convinced to actually MAKE my costume. What is it, you ask? Well, right now, its nothing except some loose fabric, cardboard, batting (no, I didn't know what this word meant until I went to the fabric store - its the stuff that's used in blankets & such to give the padding!), and some various other pieces which I'm not sure I could name. Yeah, I'm in trouble ... the party is on Saturday and this is going to be a monumental effort & challenge for me. If it works out, I'll take pictures. If it doesn't, well, then I'll take pics of other people at the party. LOL!


Happy Halloween!!

3 comments:

Marathoner in Training said...

I wish it would cool down so I can turn off my AC. It is still in the 90's in the Arizona desert, however the evening runs are great.

Anonymous said...

are you interested in doing r2r2r thanksgiving weekend?
mike e.

Becky said...

90's still, huh?! Well, I'm pretty sure I'll be jealous of your weather when I'm freezing in Feb! :-)

Mike - thanks for asking - r2r2r is definitely on my list of cool things to do, but already have plans that weekend & honestly haven't been running enough distance recently to make it as fun as it should be. Have a great time though - that's an awesome time of year to be in the GC!