Sunday, November 2, 2008

A beautiful day!

It was a gray, overcast, rainy, cool Sunday... A few years ago, this kind of day would have inspired me to stay inside all day, reading a book or whatever. Maybe if I was feeling ambitious, I would have gone to work out for a little while in the gym. Well, fast forward a few years, and today I went out for a 3+ hour trail run in the rain. I actually didn't think much about it - just made sure to grab my rain jacket before leaving the house.


As I was running, I passed a guy and his dog going in the opposite direction on the trail. As he went by, he said "Beautiful day, huh?" with a big smile on his face. I agreed, also with a big smile on my face. It made me realize how much my attitude towards the weather has changed over the years. I even brought my camera with me on this run because I was expecting to see beautiful things on the trail. Of course, the camera doesn't capture it completely, but I was definitely a happier girl after my time on the trail today!

I do have to confess though that there's one thing that I still don't enjoy when it rains this much. Worms....


I can run through the mud, muck, and puddles with no thought or concern at all (and did lots of that today!) What I can't stand though is stepping on the slimy worms that come out when it rains a lot. Yuck. Now, I know that I wouldn't feel them through my trail shoes ... its not like I'm running in bare feet or anything. But just the thought of the slimy, squishy, not-so-cute, worms getting trampled on by me is something that I just don't like. I had to test my reflexes a few times because I was checking out the scenery and almost stepped on a worm. Don't worry though, I used my superstar ninja moves to avoid them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good morning!
i had a similar experience sat. as well excecpt that it was blowing as well.minus the worms.it was nice to be out running in such incliment weather, but what made it easier to do was has somebody to do it with. i find it easier sometimes on bad weater days to go run with friends ,if possible.
glad to have got the run in though,mid 20's in mileage.
the photos are great! i have to get up there one of theses days!
mike e.