Saturday, December 29, 2007

I love NZ!

Just a quick update from the southern hemisphere. We've only been here a couple of days, but have had so much fun & adventure already! We started Friday morning with a very fun trek through a stream in a cave - definitely a necessity to have headlamps and swimwear since the water was up to my waist at times! Jared has pics - hopefully will be able to grab some from him and post them soon. Then we went on a hike/run up Avalance Peak. (Actually, Jared & Ryan ran - I mainly just hiked) It was a STEEP hike - about 1500m vertical and only 5.5k round trip, very fun though and I talked to lots of the locals and others on the trail which was very fun. Saturday was a little more mellow - poor Jared ate something bad on Friday and didn't have such a great night... We spent some time on an awesome beach and read books - very peaceful and just a sweet day! I think we all got a bit sunburned though - the sun is pretty intense here. Its a good thing that I only had my calves exposed from my capri pants - I'd be hurting if I had much more skin exposed!

Today, we split up - Ryan and Jared headed off to do some kayaking in beautiful rivers around Murchison and I took a whitewater rafting trip on the Buller River. Loads of fun! I was with a family from England, here on holiday, and our guide was a local Kiwi. Got lots of good beta on fun things to do around the area. ...Jeez, I could get used to this kind of life! Cheers!

3 comments:

Lisa Smith-Batchen said...

Happy New Year Becky!

I told you that you just might not want to come home:)
Wear your sunscreen!

Lisa and Jay

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Sounds Awesome so far Becks....enjoy it and yes wear that sunscreen.

I sent u an email back with some HTML code to add pics...

Happy New Year!!

Marathoner in Training said...

Sounds awesome, watch out for the sun, it can get you. Keep us posted on your adventures.